Locating Utilities

In order to get electric power or other utilities to a new home site, it may be necessary to cross property owned by others. It is important to make sure that the proper easements are in place or can be secured to allow lines to be brought to your property. Likewise, electrical power lines or telephone lines may cross over, under, or near your property. Be aware of existing easements and what they allow the utility providers to do in the way of access, maintenance, and expansion. Be sure to contact Digger's Hotline (1-800-242-8511) to locate underground utility lines before any digging or excavation project.

Water Supply

You will need potable water adequate to meet your needs. The most common method in rural areas is through the use of a water well. The cost of drilling a well can be considerable. Be sure to use a licensed well driller. A permit is required from the Department of Natural Resources to dig a well. The quantity and quality of well water can vary significantly from location to location and from season to season. The Commercial Testing Lab in Colfax can be helpful in determining the quality and safety of your water supply.

Sewer and Septic

As sewer service is unavailable in the Town of Grant, an approved septic system is required. Septic permits and specific regulations are available from the county. Careful planning is important in locating the septic tank and drain field relative to buildings, wetlands, trees, and wells. Also consider access to the tank for future cleanout operations as required by law.


Telephone service in the Town of Grant is supplied by three different companies based on location in the town. As noted in the Emergency Service Access in the previous section, cell phone service in some areas may not be very dependable due to the greater distance to cell phone towers and the hills that may interfere with reception. Internet services vary depending on the provider.


Electric service is provided by Dunn Energy and XCel Energy depending on the location. If building on a new site, it is important to determine the proximity of an electrical power supply. It can be costly to extend power lines to remote areas. Power outages seem to occur with more frequency in rural areas than urban settings. A loss of electric power can interrupt your well, furnace, and other appliances dependent on electric power. If storms are predicted, it may be wise to plan ahead for a possible power outage by drawing water and having flashlights and candles available.


Liquid propane (LP) gas or heating oil delivered by truck and stored on your property is the common addition to electricity used to power various appliances. Consideration should be given to placement of the storage containers for easy access when replenishing supplies, particularly in winter. Gas appliances set to operate on natural gas will need to be converted to operate on liquid propane.

Trash and Recycling

Residents of the Town of Grant may haul their trash and recyclables to any of the Dunn County transfer stations. Solid Waste Disposal Permits and information regarding solid waste disposal and recycling are provided with the tax statements or may be obtained from the town treasurer. Trash pick up at your residence is available from various private contractors in the area for a fee. It is illegal to create your own trash dump, even on your own land. Burning of trash is illegal in Dunn County by ordinance due to risks of fire damage, pollution, etc. Please do not burn any trash.

Burning Permits

Burning of trash is illegal in Dunn County. Under certain conditions clean yard waste may be burned and a fire may be used for cooking. A burning permit may be obtained from a town board member. Contact the Dunn County Sheriff's Department at their non-emergency number (715-232-1348) when a burn is planned. Residents burning without notifying the Sheriff's Department are liable for the fire call bill if anyone calls in that there is a fire and fire trucks are dispatched. Residents are also liable for the fire bill if a permitted fire gets out of control and assistance from the fire department is necessary. To find out the burning status for Dunn County, refer to the website, www.menomonie-wi.gov and click on the Fire Department link or call the Menomonie Fire Department's 24 hour non-emergency number (715-232-2414).